Sunday, November 6, 2022

QWR PSA - DON’T HIT THAT DEER

Deer Whistle installed on Kawasaki KLR 650


QWR PSA - DON’T HIT THAT DEER

 Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, one learns at an early age to WATCH OUT for deer crossing the roads between dusk and dawn since they often decide to cross a road at the same time you are driving.  One also learns that it’s not the deer you see that gets you but the deer or two following them across your path.

Almost all of us have either hit or had a near miss with a deer or know a family member or friend who has hit or missed a deer.  It’s not just cars and trucks that deer fixate on … they also seem to take on motorcycle riders too.

Deer Whistle installed on Ford F-250


A few months after moving up to Cottonwood near Redding, one of our relatives who is a long time resident of the area strongly suggested that we purchase some deer whistles to help reduce – but not eliminate – the chance of a collision with a deer.

So I took her advice and ordered a large set of deer whistles that had good reviews.  I ordered them from Amazon Prime and after they arrived, I installed them on all of my street legal cars, trucks, and motorcycles.

After I received my set of CITKOU 8Pcs Deer Whistles, I installed them on my vehicles and have been using them for about 8 months.  While some drivers may scoff at their effectiveness, I did notice that the deer I saw along the road did, in fact, react to the sound being emitted from the whistle.

Regardless of what brand you get, they are pretty inexpensive so what is the harm if they only work part of the time?  The only down side to getting what I think is pretty cheap deer collision insurance is they only work above 35 mph or so.

Now that the time has changed and we have more dark hours to drive in, it may be worth your while to purchase a set of deer whistles and install them on your vehicles.  

# # #  

No comments:

Post a Comment